If your home has a basement or crawlspace, it needs to be protected from the risk of flooding. When Mother Nature decides to send a storm your way, the rain can quickly become a disaster if your property isn’t prepared for the stormwater. Basement waterproofing, with a sump pump system, is an effective one-two punch to keep water out of your basement, plumbing issues to a minimum, and keep your home healthy and dry.
At Windy City Rooter we have spent nearly two decades providing customers from Chicago to Milwaukee both exterior and interior drain tile systems to keep their homes protected. We have 12,000+ satisfied customers and 20,000+ successful jobs to assure you that Windy City Rooter is the right choice for your basement waterproofing needs.
Why Is Your Basement Wet?
When a home is built with a basement or crawlspace, the ground is excavated and your foundation is put into that excavated space in the ground. Effectively, your home is sitting in a clay bowl and as water seeks its lowest point, ground water and storm water run off will fill the bowl that your foundation sits in. And without a proper basement waterproofing solution (i.e. drain tile and sump pump) that water can seep into your home.
Your Wet Basement Is Only Part Of The Problem
Unfortunately, your wet basement is only the most visible sign that your home is at risk. Without a basement waterproofing system to remove the water from around your foundation, here are the other risks you face:
- Danger To The Structural Integrity Of Your Home: ground water produces hydrostatic pressure that builds up all around your basement; pressing against your basement walls and your basement floor. This can start to show with cracks in the foundation and in the most severe cases can cause foundation walls to bow and fail.
- Sick Home Can Lead To Sick Family: is your family suffering from unexplained illnesses? Are members of your family suffering from chronic symptoms of illness? A wet basement can lead to toxic mold in your basement which can very dangerous to your health. And with most people having their HVAC system in their basement, their furnace and duct work is the perfect delivery system to spread toxic mold throughout your home.
- Basements Are Our Storage Areas: most families tend to utilize their basements as storage areas for family heirlooms and other valuable items. All it takes is for your home to have a catastrophic water event for a lifetime of keepsakes to be ruined. And if your basement is finished, it can become destroyed after just one weather event.
Signs Your Basement Is At Risk
Here are some common signs that you need a basement waterproofing system or that your current system has failed.
- Water Stains: obviously if you have water in your home after a weather event that is a surefire tip off, but water stains may indicate that water is seeping thru your foundation walls or floor.
- Cracks In Your Foundation: cracks in your foundation can be a sign that the hydrostatic pressure is having a detrimental effect on your foundation.
Efflorescence: efflorescence is the white powdery substance that forms on concrete and/or masonry. What happens is that moisture cause a chemical reaction and the soluble salts in the building material migrate to the surface.
- Efflorescence is a red flag that your basement may be at risk.
- Foul Smells: a musty odor in the basement is a sign that you may have a moisture issue in your basement even if you can’t see the moisture.
Windy City Rooter Can Fix Your Wet Basement
At Windy City Rooter, we have provided hundreds of our customers with basement waterproofing solutions. We employ both interior and exterior drain tile systems, seal foundation cracks, and install sump pumps with back up systems to ensure that your basement or crawlspace is healthy and dry.
Licensed Plumbers Chicago, IL and the Surrounding Areas!
Don’t let a flooded basement get you down. Contact Windy City Rooter today to schedule an appointment in Chicago, IL, and surrounding areas. Our team of experienced technicians will quickly identify any issues with your plumbing and provide cost-effective solutions, including lead pipe replacement, water heater repairs, water line repair and replacements plus grease trap cleaning. We have 24 hour plumbers to provide the services you need to keep your property safe, dry, and protected. Browse our other service areas as well and don’t forget to check out what your neighbors are saying on our Google reviews!
Additional Waterproofing and Plumbing Services
- Drain Cleaning
- Emergency Plumbing Services
- Pipe Deleading
- Grease Traps & Catch Basins
- Pump Services
- Sewer & Drain Services
- Sewer Line Repair & Replacement
- Underground Sewer Camera/Video Inspection
- Water Heater Repair & Installation
- Water Line Repair & Replacement
- Water Proofing/Storm Water Solutions